School Spotlight: Saint Leo University
Saint Leo University (SLU) was first established by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida in 1889. Their main mission has been and still is to make higher education accessible to everyone and, after over 100 years, they are now one of the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. As a Catholic university, they “teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.” SLU’s inclusive nature shows, with a 14,000+ student body, hailing from 49 states and 86 countries.
- Year Founded: 1889
- Approximate Student Body as of 2016: 14,000+
- Number of Programs: 40+
- Main Campus Location: Saint Leo, FL
- Nickname/Mascot: Lions/Fritz the Lion
- School Colors: Green and Gold
- Publication: Spirit
- Fun Fact: SLU has 60+ academic, multicultural, special interest, sports, religious, and honor society-based student clubs and organizations.
Available Programs at a Glance
The following list is just a small sample of the programs you’ll find at Saint Leo University. Most programs are available online or at the school’s campus, and you can use the links to learn more about each degree. You can also view the entire selection of degrees from Saint Leo University.
- BA in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA in Project Management
- BA in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MEd in Reading
- BS in Healthcare Management
- BA in Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- BA in Religion
- BS in Computer Science
Under the Microscope
Many students are also active military, veterans, and their family members. Saint Leo University is one of just 10 educational institutions to be approved by the U.S. Coast Guard for participation in its new Maritime Law Enforcement College Partnership Program. SLU strives to be military-friendly, which is why they are partnered with these organizations:
- Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP)
- Navy College Program for Afloat College Education (NCPACE)
- The Air Force Academic Institution (AI) Portal
- Air University Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative Program
- The Marine Corps Lifelong Learning Program’s Academic Explorer (AeX)
By working with these groups, SLU is able to offer programs that fit the unique military personnel lifestyle. SLU also has ROTC programs and a Veteran Student Services office, which provides reintegration, transition, and academic help services.
At Saint Leo University, students can earn associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees, at any of their three schools:
- The School of Arts and Sciences
- The School of Business
- The School of Education and Social Services
These schools and their degree programs are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Students can take classes and earn their degree online at SLU, and they can interact with their professors and other students while easily accessing information like financial aid, grades, and class schedules.