School Spotlight: Liberty University
Founded by Evangelical leader Jerry Falwell in 1971, Liberty University is the largest private university in Virginia, and the fastest growing Christian university in the world. Liberty University offers more than 550 academic programs with a 24:1 student-teacher ratio that ensures individual attention. Liberty also offers study abroad programs, a writing program, and a diploma program from Wilmington School of the Bible.
- Year Founded: 1971
- Approximate Student Body as of 2016: 110,000+
- Number of Programs: 550+
- Main Campus Location: Lynchburg, Va
- Nickname/Mascot: Liberty Flames/Sparky the Eagle
- School Colors: Red, White, and Blue
- Publication: Liberty Journal
- Fun Fact: They have 289 online programs, and their online classes have a 17:1 student/professor ratio.
Available Programs at a Glance
The following list is just a small sample of the programs you’ll find at Liberty University. Most programs are available online or at the school’s campus, and you can use the links to learn more about each degree. You can also view the entire selection of degrees from Liberty University.
- BS in Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- BS in Business Administration
- MBA in Finance
- MS in Project Management
- Master of Divinity – Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice
- BS in Early Childhood Education Interdisciplinary Studies
- MEd in School Counseling (Teaching Credential)
- MEd in Teaching and Learning
- MA in Teaching – Special Education
- BS in Psychology
- Master of Theology – Biblical Studies
- MA in Religion – Theology
- Master of Theology
Under the Microscope
On campus, Liberty University hosts top Christian speakers and performers, and offers NCAA Division I athletics to keep student life exciting. But online is where Liberty University really shines, and where it is growing the fastest. Liberty’s online programs help students finish high school, and earn an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and even a doctoral degree.
The Liberty University educational network is comprised of 17 colleges and schools including:
- The School of Aeronautics
- The College of Arts & Sciences
- The School of Business
- The School of Divinity
- The School of Education
- The School of Engineering and Computational Sciences
- School of Law
- College of Osteopathic Medicine
“The Edge” program allows high school juniors and seniors to begin earning college credit before they graduate high school while fulfilling their high school course requirements. This program may be of special interest to home-schooled students and their families. The next step, the associate’s degree is the ideal jumping-off point to go into Liberty’s advanced programs in the same areas, or to branch off into a bachelor’s degree.
Liberty University is also a resource for the military and military spouses to further their education and prepare for civilian life. Tuition discounts, fee waivers, military training for college credit, and a Heroes Fund Scholarship are some of the ways in which Liberty tries to make education easier for those serving their country.